5 Techniques for Improving Click Through Rates
Click-Through Rate (CTR) is a method of measuring the response to an online ad. It is taken in percentages and determined by dividing the total number of times the ad was presented to the user by the total number of times the ad was clicked on. It is applicable in a variety of online ad campaigns including banner ad campaigns, email marketing campaigns and Pay Per Click (PPC) campaigns.
CTR is therefore one of the most important metrics for measuring the success or otherwise of any online ad campaign. A high CTR is something that many companies try hard to attain and increasing CTR in the course of a campaign is also a key objective. This is because the higher the CTR, the more likely that the conversion rate will increase. This boils down to increase in the profit margin. There are some techniques that can be used to improve the CTR of an ad campaign.
1. Avoiding Blatant Advertising: When you consider the volume of advertisement that internet users face coupled with that which they to face offline, they just develop ‘ad blindness’ after some time. Sometimes therefore, advertisements work much better when they do not look like ads. You can try using the ads in side menus or as a text placement within the site content.
2. Proper Ad Placement: This pertains much more to banner ads. It is very important to know the most effective place to fix the banner ad. This might involve more negotiation with the owner of the site. The goal is increase visibility of the ad and when the ad rhymes with the page content, users tend to click on it prior to or after reading the content.
3. Professional Design, Animation & Ad Copy: This again pertains mainly to banner ad. It is imperative that the design be done by a professional banner designer. This is to ensure the visual appeal as users will only be attracted by a banner that looks attractive. Research has also shown that animated banners attract more attention and click throughs than the static types. Blinking or moving ads are some of the animated types that have shown CTR efficacy. The use of appropriate motivating phrases or words also compel users to take the desired action of clicking on the ad. Try using words that have been proven to drive action such as ‘click here’ or ‘act now’.
4. Making Ads Relevant: Unfortunately, a lot of ads are hardly relevant to the content provided on the site. One of the best ways to ensure that ads are viewed positively and clicked on is to make the ads relevant to the site content. For example, if the site is about weight loss, it would make little sense to place ads that are focused on cars.
5. Make it Easier For Ads to Load: When the page loads with difficulty because of the graphic weight of the ad, it could just turn off the users. If however the page loads fast in spite of the ad, users stay on the page and this increases the possibility of the ad being clicked on.